PW Forum / interface definition language for different types of online resources

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-28 07:21:55

dzieciou
Website

interface definition language for different types of online resources

SOAP is related to traditional Web services (in a way W3C defined it) and WSDL is an interface language for formal definition what operations with what names and input/output parameters can be found under a given URL address. Moreover, it is independent to the implementation.

ProgrammableWeb.com is a registry of online resources (including SOAP/WSDL Web services), that can be composed to create mash-ups. It classifies them with respect to protocol/Style of interaction (AIM (OSCAR), Atom, Blogger, DTC-XML, GData, GET, hCalendar, iCal, JavaScript, POST, REST, RSS, SMS, SOAP, XML-RPC, XMPP).

--> Is there any formal language like WSDL related to remaining protocol/styles? E.g. is there any formal language to describe what protocol/styles a service using XML-RPC or XMPP offers?

That's kind of a hype, but the dream would be to have universal language for all this styles, so during the discovery phase I don't care how protocol/style of required online resource is defined : I simple say to my online resource search engine: find me an online resource which provide some data related to X or service realizing functionality Y.

--> What do you think?

Best,
Maciej

#2 2009-05-28 07:30:16

dzieciou
Website

Re: interface definition language for different types of online resources

My impression is that currently the database schema of ProgrammableWeb registry provides kind of stub of such formal description of different online resources...

#3 2009-06-05 23:26:36

jmusser
Administrator
Website

Hi dzieciou, that's a good question. We do provide some of that here. Another thing you might want to check is WADL, which provides a mechanism for describing REST APIs.

See https://wadl.dev.java.net/

Hope this helps,
John

#4 2009-07-22 23:43:39

celina12

This is a wonderful opinion. The things mentioned are unanimous and needs to be appreciated by everyone
office jobs

Last edited by celina12 (2009-07-22 23:45:56)

Board footer