PW Forum / Link Exchanging ... Over the long Christmas weekend I...

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-26 09:44:51

USGolfers
Website

Link Exchanging ... Over the long Christmas weekend I...

I was thinking of how I could provide others visibility on my Google Map. I wanted to control
when things were loaded onto the map but wanted this information available to other map mashups without requiring the linker to recreate the information. 

If the linker's page contained the geo data and my mashup read that information I could add it to my database for inclusion into my site. Then if the linker also wanted to be listed on xyz_map_mashup.com their information would already exist and they'd simply have to request their site be added.

I decided to try an approach where I added meta tags containing geo data to my main web site www.usgolfers.com and to another page in my site at www.usgolfers.com/html/seattle.htm. Each link has different geo meta data. I then used the "Crude" utility I created to add this to my database.

Wow, it worked. Mostly. I had a link flag for my main site and one for my seattle page.

Has anybody else expermented with meta tags to provide geo data for mapping? I think the valuble aspect of this is in the re-usability. I could add my seattle.htm link to another site that honored these meta tags and I wouldn't have to re-define
the geo data.  Crawlers could test for this data during their crawl and provide this information for map mashups.

If some of you would be so kind to test this I'd appreciate it. If you have a map mashup. I'll build a aquery to provide a subset of link as I receive them.

Thanks,
Richard

#2 2007-12-26 10:04:10

USGolfers
Website

Re: Link Exchanging ... Over the long Christmas weekend I...

Sorry to forget this. The tab "Web" is where you can access this Link Exchange utility.

Instructions for use are there. The map works in Firefox but the Link Exchanger doesn't. You'll need to use IE until I get home to update the page.

Please, remember this is beta. In fact, I don't really know if it's going to be worth while but I thought I'd try it.

Thanks again
Richard

#3 2007-12-27 06:55:15

USGolfers
Website

Re: Link Exchanging ... Over the long Christmas weekend I...

Firefox interface works for this now. Firefox doesn't always recognize the name attribute in the node object. At least not in meta tags. I had to use the node.getAttribute. 

Other advantages to the use of meta tags for this activity are that other meta tags like keywords are also available for filtering and that one can only request the HEAD of the page and not be required to download the complete document body.

Richard

Board footer