PW Forum / Finding location info on companies for mashup

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-27 13:34:00

mjulson
Website

Finding location info on companies for mashup

I'm working on a google maps mashup, but I need to obtain the addresses of all locations for a couple dozen retail companies.

Can anyone suggest the best ways of obtaining this?  Is there a good public source where I can search for the company name and get a csv type file with all locations?

Looking at the store locators on these companies sites provides some of the addresses, but you have to manually search by zip, and there's no way to be sure you got all of them.

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by mjulson (2007-08-27 13:34:33)

#2 2007-12-01 02:33:13

skelman

Re: Finding location info on companies for mashup

Let's expand on this...

I'm looking for all service-oriented companies in the US.  I imagine Google has as complete a database as anyone.  Are they willing to share or charge for this listing?

#3 2008-06-23 19:18:39

lv211
Website

What information do you have on the retailers?

If I wanted to massively harvest a bunch of information I would build a bot in perl.

Otherwise you might be able to find a list of retailers through industry websites.

Have you tried e-mailing the company?

#4 2008-09-28 23:31:17

brook
Website

You can view any other search engines for your required information about the companies in U S. Other wise you can email to the companies for your required information. I hope so you will get required information as soon as possible. I wish you best of luck.

--------------
Brook

Job Openings

#5 2008-11-03 06:37:43

underwater
Website

I had performed this duty for several corporations in my past, but the data is now quite old, 2001 vintage, and the data was specific to retail lessors in one case and pizza chains in another.
The advice above is valid, though I know that at least the companies I have worked for were very stingy with any proprietary information.
Athough today's store locators are more locked down than they used to be, you could sometimes "fool" them into giving up the entire database, or at least one state at a time (a reasonable task) by playing with the database query settings (the stuff after the ? marks) in the URL address box in your browser.  Pay attention to any number that specifies a limit on how many records are returned.  Also try some wildcards, variously * or % to encourage a data dump to your browser.  Again good luck and successful data mining to you!

Board footer