Hackathons are a fast growing phenomenom where developers come together, usually in short periods up to 72 hours to submit ideas, form teams and hack together applications, data visualizations and sometimes form business models around their ideas. ProgrammableWeb is tracking 20 hackathons coming in the next couple weeks all around the world.
Here is the complete list of 20 upcoming hackathons:
- Salt Lake City Startup Weekend 2/2 - 02/02/2012 - Sandy UT, United States
- Trojan Hack - 02/03/2012 - Los Angeles California, United States
- NYC EDU Startup Weekend - 02/03/2012 - New York New York, United States
- Calgary Startup Weekend 2/12 - 02/03/2012 - Calgary , Canada
- Enschede Startup Weekend (Feb 3-5, 2012) - 02/03/2012 - Enschede Overijssel, Netherlands
- Madrid Startup Weekend 02/2012 - 02/03/2012 - Madrid , Spain
- Montreal Startup Weekend 02/12 - 02/03/2012 - Montreal Quebec, Canada
- SpinKick - Kickstarting Mobile Apps for Your Business! - 02/04/2012 - Seattle WA, United States
- OPF Hackathon - A Practical Approach to Database Archiving - 02/07/2012 - Copenhagen , Denmark
- Constantine Startup Weekend - 02/09/2012 - Constantine Constantine, Algeria
- University of Miami Ohio Startup Weekend 02/2012 - 02/10/2012 - Oxford OH, United States
- Greater Lafayette Startup Weekend 2012 - 02/10/2012 - Lafayette IN, United States
- Startup Weekend Jackson - 02/10/2012 - Jackson MS, United States
- Startup Weekend Twin Cities 3 - 02/10/2012 - Twin Cities Minnesota, United States
- Valencia Startup Weekend 02/2012 - 02/10/2012 - Valencia Comunidad Valenciana, Spain
- Music Hack Day San Francisco - 02/11/2012 - ,
- Hacking at Music Hack Day San Francisco 2012 - 02/11/2012 - San Francisco CA, United States
- The Digital Barn - 02/11/2012 - Barnsley Barnsley, United Kingdom
- Hack To The Future 11.02.2012 (Kids) - 02/11/2012 - Preston , United Kingdom
- qMedia HACK-A-THON - 02/15/2012 - London London, United Kingdom
If we missed your event, make sure and submit below as a comment and we’ll include it next week.
For those that are new to the hackathon space, these events are not intended to perform illegal activities around computer networks. Software developers widely see hacking as a quick and dirty programming solution to a problem. It is NOT about gaining access to other networks, which is a definition widely publicized by the media and hollywood. Among the developer community, it is mean to be a positive term that drives innovation among developers.