Following-up on yesterday's post on the best new mashups, here is another notable mashup from this past week, yesterday's Mashup of the Day: Gaiagi Driver. What is it? It's a mashed-up 3D driving simulator that uses a lot of web APIs across multiple windows to create a unique driving experience. Give it a starting and ending address and it follows the path created by the directions and shows your present position in four different views:
- Upper left: Google Earth view (the mashup requires you to have this installed)
- Upper right: Google Map view. You can toggle traffic information as well as street view information as overlays.
- Lower left: Google Streetview
- Lower right: Microsoft Birdsview
Given how much is going in all those windows, it's more than a bit demanding, so it helps to have a fast Internet connection.
As a bonus, it includes a dozen pre-defined tours, just press the button and go:
- New York City: Central Park to Times Square
- Las Vegas: Along the Strip
- San Francisco: Market Street to Golden Gate
- London: London Eye to Buckingham Palace
- Paris: Eiffel Tower to Notre Dame
It's an impressive bit of mashup engineering.