Location database service Factual recently challenged developers to work with its Factual API at its first Factual Hackathon. After two days of coding, developers presented 15 apps. The winner was an automatic check-in application, with others focused on health, analytics and anonymous location-based interactivity.
The full list of winners:
- 1st Chex.me - This app checks users into Facebook based on the location. Other services are planned.
- 2nd Cancer Care App - Provides cancer research and physician search.
- 3rd (tie) Gluten-free Around Me - Find restaurants with gluten-free options
- 3rd (tie) Whereblocks - Create 3D block art with others at a location
- Honorable mention Wondergraphs - Graphing DonorsChoose data
- Honorable mention Lifemeter - Life expectancy based on age and health factors
Factual, which we said may be the go-to location database, also had hacker-oriented entertainment as part of the Hackathon. The first night included a panel, Beyond Local Search: Local Data Connecting the Real World. Factual's Tyler Bell interviewed MySQL's Marten Mickos the second night.
For those interested in more detail about the 15 apps produced during the Factual Hackathon, see the video (90 minutes) of demos embedded below.