It's clear by the running total on the ProgrammableWeb homepage that there are a lot of APIs. In addition to a lot of companies with APIs, there are companies with a lot of APIs. Google has the most--surprised? You may be at some others than make the list, from social networks to online marketplaces.
- Google (113) isn't surprising, nor is the company's most popular API, Google Maps.
- Yahoo (57) comes in second, with the Flickr API its most popular
- XIgnite (56) may be a shock if you haven't heard of the financial data firm before.
- Microsoft (39) has a reasonable place on the list, led by its Bing Maps API.
- Amazon (35) is fueled by its suite of AWS APIs, but its shopping API is tops.
- AOL (32) has only nine AOL-branded APIs. Its MapQuest brand has more than that.
- eBay (25) was a pioneer of web APIs and its listings API is still its most popular.
Photo by Gopal Vijayaraghavan.