Earlier this year, ProgrammableWeb reported that Nike had launched the brand new Nike+ API developer portal and the first Nike+ Accelerator program which aims to connect the Nike+ platform with companies that use innovative technologies to help people live more active lives. Building upon the success of the Accelerator program, Nike has announced the launch of the 2014 Nike+ Fuel Lab in San Francisco, a 12-week program designed to expand the Nike+ ecosystem by connecting Nike+ and NikeFuel with companies that offer an existing technology product or service.
Nike will select 10 partner companies to develop an integration utilizing Nike+ and NikeFuel that will encourage people to become more active and help every athlete "reach their true potential." In order for selected partner companies to be able to launch an optimized NikeFuel integration by the end of the program, Nike is providing the necessary tools, resources and support including (but limited to):
- Each company selected by Nike will receive $50,000 as well as hosting services, work space, connections and mentorship as a benefit of participating in the program.
- Access to the Nike+ and NikeFuel APIs and SDKs.
- Access to Nike executives involved in design, brand marketing, product creation and more.
- Educational and relationship building opportunities with key market leaders in technology and sport.
- Support from experienced developers who have built companies and/or built with Nike+ APIs.
- Code and solution reviews during the program.
Nike has also announced the release of the newest version of Nike+ FuelBand, Nike+ FuelBand SE, which connects users to a new FuelBand App that tracks all day movement using NikeFuel and provides users with more information about their all-day movement. Stefan Olander, Nike's VP of Digital Sport is quoted in the announcement:
"We continue to innovate around the Nike+ ecosystem to deliver the very best experiences for our consumers, motivating and inspiring athletes at all levels. The Nike+ Fuel Lab, along with new Nike+ FuelBand SE and Nike+ Apps significantly enhance our NikeFuel platform."
Applications for the 2014 Nike+ Fuel Lab in San Francisco must be submitted by January 20, 2014. The program begins in March 2014 and ends in May 2014. Nike will notify the companies that have been selected for program participation on February 10, 2014 and there will be a Demo Day in June 2014. For more information about the 2014 Nike+ Fuel Lab, visit www.NikeFuelLab.com.