Version 2 of ProgrammableWeb.com is now live. What's new? Just about all of it, every page is different. Perhaps the biggest change is the addition of 3 "dashboards" which now serve as the site's main hubs.
- Home Page Dashboard: The home page has gone from being just a static site index to a useful page that updates daily. It summarizes the latest mashups, includes metrics and charts tracking API and mashup growth, includes blog snippets, and other odds and ends.
- Mashup Dashboard: Focuses only on the mashup and examples side of things, leading-off with the Mashup of the Day.
- API Dashboard: Does the same for APIs: Featured API, latest APIs, popular searches, etc. Charts showing distribution of mashups by API allow drill-down let you see at a glance which APIs get the most mashup use (and yes, it may be a long time before Google Maps doesn't have the biggest slice).
Other updates include:
- Scalability: Paging support has been added for the lists. With 600+ mashups listed, this was becoming unwieldy to say the least. And overall performance has generally been improved.
- Metrics: This is the tracking the ecosystem piece. There are a variety of charts that get updated daily. Some get rotated in or out over time. Eventually there will be a /stats page.
- Content: All APIs and mashups now get graphics. This is particularly useful for the mashups as you can get a quick feel for each mashup without having to go visit the site.
- There's also a new FAQ page, which is a bit thin now but will grow over time.
- Community: Comments and voting now for both links and APIs. Other features along this line didn't make this cut, but will be in next time.
- Serendipity: There's a certain serendipity factor inside now. A few bits of random selection and recommendation that should keep things a bit more engaging...
Lots of other updates, more on those later. In the meantime checkout the new site. Feedback always welcome.