3Scale Builds UN Data API
API platform company 3Scale has built an API for UNData. The reason 3Scale chose the UN Data site to build an API is both to inspire others and because it has a large database. The UN site aggregates data from the World Health Organization, the United Nations Statistics Division, and many other organizations throughout the world. But access was limited—you had to download the files and then input them into your own database before analyzing them. To make matters worse, various types of information such as country names were inconsistent across the databases.
According to Kristine Jennings posting on the 3Scale blog,
We built this API for a few reasons. First, to make the data more easily accessible – the UN has a lot of interesting and useful data and we thought developers should be able to access it (read on for more detail on what’s included in the data). It was also an opportunity to provide an example implementation of a RESTful API for those interested in learning more. We hope putting the code out there might help others run a similar service and or give us feedback on how to improve it.
Xignite Creates TypeAhead Functionality for Financial Industry
As Xignite commented, users expect this kind of functionality:
The TypeAhead functionality is similar to the Google Search AutoComplete feature, providing matching stock symbols and company names in a dropdown menu as a user types characters in a field. The dropdown interactively refines the list as a user types additional characters, and supports multiple stock symbologies popular in the financial industry. Integrating Xignite's TypeAhead feature with a mobile app or web site only takes a few lines of code.
Xignite is helping power websites and apps for more than 1,000 companies. TypeAhead is free and now available in beta.
API News You Shouldn’t Miss
- ResortsandLodges.com Announces API Partnership with The Vacation Bridge
- Vida.io creates Google Charts in the cloud
- WePay Unveils Industry's First Risk API at Finovate Spring 2014
- 7 things you told Facebook without even realizing it
- Open Sourcing The UN Data API
- Zapier’s OneNote Integration Journey
- To API or not to API
- Dealstruck's New API Helps Institutional Investors by Giving Them Data About Borrowers
- Xignite Introduces Free Stock Symbol TypeAhead API for FinTech Developers
- Running NDepend Rules through NDepend.API
- Radiant Logic Announces ADAP, an Open Source REST API Layer for LDAP
- FeedHenry Majorly Updates App Platform