Github releases its platform for Windows, Github 2.0. PayPal looks to use Apple's Touch ID for payments. Plus: Dropbox announces updates to the Sync and Datastore APIs, and SOA Software introduces API syndication.
Github Releases Major Upgrade for Windows
Github, the collaboration code management team, has just released Github 2.0 for Windows, two years after the initial release. There are several features in this major upgrade. One aims to improve your focus by keeping your work front and center (see screenshot below). A second feature is to keep what you need most close at hand: repositories. They are always available at the left sidebar, but you can now create, clone and publish them without having to leave the screen.
Another handy feature is that you can switch between repositories fast while easily distinguishing between your personal projects and those with Github Enterprise. Users of the previous version can expect it to automatically update to the current 2.0. If you need to install Github for Windows, that's easily done.
PayPal Investigating Apple's Touch ID API for Payments
PayPal has confirmed it is looking into using Apple's Touch ID API to allow users to confirm payments.
As reported by Keith Griffith in Business Insider, PayPal developers attended the WWDC session on the API recently:
"It seems to be a fairly easy API to use, but we're still kicking the tires," the PayPal source tells us.
Until Apple's announcement that the API would be available, the feature was only available on the iPhone 5S for unlocking the phone and making payments to iTunes. It's easy to see how the API could help Touch ID become an Apple gateway for a myriad set of transactions and interactions, such as turning on a car's ignition.
API News You Shouldn’t Miss
- An API Strategy Is a Business Strategy
- Passport Online Launches Automated Social Media Posting for Travel Agents
- UK’s first Hackathon ready to hit London in HackCoin
- Geospatial Corporation's New Website Features Latest Version of GIS Platform Designed Around Google Maps API
- SOA Software Introduces API Syndication to Accelerate API Adoption
- Spectral Capital Corporation: Kontexto Inc. Announces Launch of Metafull, a New Link and Data Analysis API service
- Announcing the Sync API and Datastore API version 3.0!
- PayPal confirmed to be using Touch ID APIs on its mobile payment apps
- Say hello to GitHub for Windows 2.0