As the world's leading source of news and information about Internet-based application programming interfaces (APIs), ProgrammableWeb.com is known as the Web's defacto journal of the API economy. Since it was founded in 2005, ProgrammableWeb has been chronicling the daily evolution of the global API economy while amassing the Web's most relied-on directory when it comes to discovering and searching for APIs to use in Web and mobile applications. In 2014, Gartner identified ProgrammableWeb as one of several “Cool Vendors” in Information Innovation. ProgrammableWeb is also the most widely-cited source of data when it comes to the inclusion of API-related statistics in the mainstream media, conferences, whitepapers, and other forms of research.
ProgrammableWeb is where you can keep-up with what's new and interesting in a world where the Web is a programmable platform. When we say "the Web is a platform," we are referring to how Web-based and mobile applications are enabled by Internet-based APIs. For example, the way in which the developers of many location-aware applications are able to incorporate Google Maps into their wares with just a few lines of code (using the Google Maps API).
New stakeholders are joining the API economy everyday. Whether they are Web and mobile app developers who are looking to discover the true power of Internet-based APIs or they are companies with an eye on making such APIs privately or publicly available to developers, ProgrammableWeb is the perfect resource for honing their expertise, discovering best practices, keeping up on the latest news, and developing their own thought leadership when it comes to the API economy.
The Key Parts of ProgrammableWeb
ProgrammableWeb is primarily made up of of six sections:
- Our article content (news, analysis, reviews, how-to's, etc.) updated by our team of news reporters and technical editors every day
- The API directory where developers can search for APIs to include in their next software development project
- The Mashup Directory to see a showcase of Web applications that put Web APIs to work
- A list of offsite How-To's and Source Code; a resource that we think developers will find useful for enhancing their skills
- A directory of frameworks, libraries, and SDKs each of which is connected to API-driven development in some way
- The ProgrammableWeb Research Center where audience members can view or download the latest statistics on the API economy. All of our stats are downloadable as PowerPoint slides for incorporation into your own presentation
We also have a directory of ProgrammableWeb's registered members.
Or Try Us By Department
We're also organizing the site in a way that we think will be useful to our two primary audiences; developers and API providers. For developers, we've established a Developer Resource Center. This is a good place for developers to dive into all that ProgrammableWeb has to offer if API-driven Web or mobile app development is your cup of tea. From here, you can dive into our API directory, add your latest application to our list of mashups, discover other developers who have joined the ProgrammableWeb community, or view news that's specifically filtered for the developer audience.
Whether you're an experienced API provider or just beginning your journey, our API Launch Center makes it easy to get to work on your API's punch list. And like the Developer Resource Center, it has a news feed with stories that are hand-picked just for API providers.
Here at ProgrammableWeb, our team of editors, writers, researchers, and engineers are working hard everyday to improve how the site serves the information needs of everybody who follows the API economy. Please don't hesitate to let us know how we're doing.
Editor in Chief