BioID Web Services (BWS) is a webcam based biometrics service for cloud, web, and mobile application developers. The service enables applications such as
- Biometric authentication (face and voice, iris to follow) including liveness detection
- Identification to check people against blacklists, for criminal background checks, etc.
- Ticketless check-in for trade shows and other events, airline boarding, ships
- Fraud prevention with liveness detection to verify the presence of a live user or to detect multiple registrations from the same person
- Face or voice similarity search for celebrity matching, online dating, modeling or casting agencies
- Photo quality checks to ensure good-quality (biometric) ID photos or mugshots
Functionality exposed by the API includes verification (one-to-one) and identification (one-to-many) of face and voice, liveness detection, photo quality checking to international standards, finding, cropping and returning high-quality face images and more. The API uses REST and SOAP protocols and responses are formatted in XML.
Fifteen APIs have been added to the ProgrammableWeb directory in categories including DevOps, Video, Reputation, and Security. Highlights today include the Apility API for confirming legitimate vs. fake users, and the Slipstream multi-cloud management API. Here's a rundown of the latest additions.