The Oxford Dictionaries API gives you access to our world-renowned dictionary data in an ever-growing list of languages. Based on our intensive language research programme – one of the largest in the world – our data is up-to-date, accurate, and reliable and, for the first time, can be quickly and easily incorporated into your apps via one single API. The Oxford Dictionaries API includes:
• Flexible endpoints including headwords, parts of speech, synonyms, audio, example sentences, and more.
• Lexical frequency and n-gram information from our integrated LexiStats API
• Data expertly pre-processed by our in-house engineers to ensure accuracy and consistency of format across datasets – in many languages, for the first time.
• Continually updated content, giving you immediate access to the latest words and linguistic resources.
• Datasets in multiple languages, including English, Spanish, Hindi, isiZulu, Latvian, and more.
Developers may want to add dictionary functions to applications for a variety of reasons. Dictionary use can increase vocabulary, improve reading, writing and speaking skills, supply translation, process language for sentiment and aid accessibility. Here are ProgrammableWeb's 10 top Dictionary APIs.