Search Engine Optimization, or SEO, is vital to any successful website. The team at SEOmoz are experts in this field and now offer a number of premium SEO tools including the recently released Open Site Explorer, which provides a wealth of information on backlinks and link popularity. Now the same information available through Open Site Explorer can be accessed via a new, free API. From their announcement:
The launch of Open Site Explorer last week opens up a lot of link data, filters, and anchor text to a much wider audience than we've ever had before. In that same vein, today we're announcing our new and improved SEOmoz Free API.
- Data for any URL in our index including
- Domain and Page Authority
- total link count
- external, followed link count
- The first 500 links to any page, sub domain or domain
- Filtering on those links: 301s, Follows, External, etc.
- The first 3 domains linking to any page, sub domain or domain
- The first 3 anchor text terms or phrases in links to any page, sub domain or domain
Reaction to Open Site Explorer has been good (like here and here), and the API Moz API is already being put to use by a number of parters including Buzzstream, Brandwatch, HubSpot's Grader Suite and Quirk's Search Status toolbar. New developers will find plenty of source code and examples on this wiki.
Those looking for more detailed information can make use of the SEOmoz paid API, which includes additional features seen in Open Site Explorer Pro.