The world of video APIs continues its impressive surge, with 40 video APIS now listed on ProgrammableWeb, up from the 30 video APIs profiled in February and more than double the 19 video APIs from last fall. And more video mashups appear every week, now with 340 video mashups listed.
Among the notable new video API entries are:
Vodpod is a video sharing site, and with the Vodpod API you can programmatically do most of the same things that you can with the site. Use the API to create a video widget, get a video list complete with metadata and player, upload videos, get thumbnails, and retrieve your activity list.
Ustream.tv is a live video broadcasting and video chat room site, and its Ustream.tv API allows broadcasters and end-users to share, show, or browse the video database. A developer can search broadcasters for a specific name, retrieve a popular show, and start streaming a show.
Medioh.tv is also a video search and sharing site, and the Medioh.tv API lets a developer search, filter, and sort the video database, give users custom channels, and access titles, descriptions, tags, and other video information.
Permission.tv is a software-as-a-service video delivery Platform aimed more at organizations and businesses that mange their own video. Its Permission.tv API gives developers a way to prepare and manage videos, create players, reports, utilities, and web components.
It's clear that the proliferation of ways to access video - traditional mainstream video, user-generated content, marketing video, internal corporate communications, and personal lifestreaming - will continue apace, and it's also looking like having an API is becoming a requirement for any online video service today.
- AOL Video API: AOL Truveo Video Search
- AOL Video Upload API: Video upload and sharing service
- Blinkx API: Video search service
- Blip.tv API: Video upload and sharing service
- Cellblock API: Real-time Multimedia File Sharing
- Dave.TV API: Video distribution network
- ffwd API: Video sharing and discovery
- Flickr API: Photo sharing service
- Flixya API: Video, photo, and blog sharing platform
- GamesRadar API: Video game cheats and guides services
- Grouper Video API: Video sharing service
- HeyWatch API: Video encoding services
- Internet Video Archive API: Movie trailers, music videos, and game trailers service
- Ipernity API: Media sharing service
- Joost API: Online television
- Kyte API: Streaming interactive television service
- LiveVideo API: Video repository and user community
- Medioh API: Video search service
- Meebo API: Web based messaging platform
- Mefeedia API: Video feeds and community
- Nirvanix API: Internet storage service
- Opensubtitles API: Movie subtitles service
- Orb API: Digital media remote access and management
- PalBee Mashup API: Conferencing and collaboration services
- Pando API: File delivery and management services
- PermissionTV API: Video distribution platform
- Phanfare API: Photo and video sharing service
- Revver API: Video services
- Seesmic API: Video dashboard and community
- SesameVault API: Video sharing service
- Skype API: Internet communication
- Userplane API: Communication software for online communities
- Ustream.TV API: Live video streaming service
- Veoh API: Internet television, video, and social platform
- Videodetective API: Film trailers, cast, images, and related information
- Vimeo API: Video sharing service
- Vodpod API: Video sharing and discovery
- Yahoo Live API: Live video streaming service
- Yahoo Music API: Music and musician info and videos
- Yahoo Video Search API: Video search
- YouTube API: Video sharing and search