Cloudflare has announced Cloudflare Workers Unbound. Workers Unbound is a serverless platform for developers with a specific focus on flexibility, performance, security, ease of use, and pricing. With Workers Unbound, users can run complicated workloads across the Cloudflare network and pay only for what's used.
“I challenged our team to build a platform that didn't just compete with niche edge computing solutions, but would provide developers the fastest, most secure, most flexible, and most cost-effective general-purpose serverless offering — period," Matthew Prince, Cloudflare co-founder, and CEO, commented in a press release. "I'm incredibly proud of Cloudflare Workers Unbound and can't wait to see what developers will build with it.”
Cloudflare Workers Unbound is the next progression beyond Cloudflare Workers, which came out in 2017. The company pitches Workers Unbound as a platform that serves more use cases with more flexibility and better cost. Specific benefits the company points to include:
- Limitless: Limited CPU restraints and only pay for what you use.
- Cost-Effective: Very competitive pricing when compared to the industry
- No Hidden Fees
- No Cold Starts: Out of the box support for 0 nanosecond cold start times.
- Unthrottled CPU: Isolated architecture lets Cloudflare run CPUs unthrottled so users can get more done per second of compute time.
- Fast Globally: Workloads run across the Cloudflare network, spanning more than 200 cities in more than 100 countries, reducing average network latency for users everywhere in the world.
- Instant Updates: Developers can update their code and have it live globally in 15 seconds.
- Automatic Scaling: Cloudflare Workers Unbound automatically scale to meet demand without developers needing to spinning up new instances.
- Robust Debugging Tools: Simplified debugging and diagnosing problems.
- Secure By Design: Built to withstand the latest security threats, including sophisticated timing attacks, and was reviewed by the team that discovered the Spectre class of vulnerabilities.
Cloudflare Workers will now be known as Cloudflare Workers Bundled. Cloudflare Workers Unbound is currently in private beta. Those interested can learn more here.