"APIs are first class-products at eBay," Gail Frederick, eBay Vice President of Developer Ecosystem, commented in a recent news story. "We continue to add capabilities into our public API portfolio so third-party developers in our eBay Developers Program can create powerful experiences and manage their eBay business at scale. Our goal is to empower developers, enhance the ecosystem of eBay applications, and add value for our buyers and sellers."
This week, eBay announced numerous API enhancements and brand new APIs that reaffirm Frederick's statement. New APIs include:
- Finances API: through the API, developers gain a complete view of eBay transactions, manage payouts, reconcile accounting and more. The API is currently in an alpha testing and eBay requests feedback from developers.
- Recommendation API: the API gives users guidance for Promoted Listings through utilizing trending ad rates and recommended listings. Reebok was an early tester of this API and saw 55% lift in overall sales and %142 lift on promoted sales items
- Login with eBay: allows users to leverage the eBay Authentication process within third-party apps
- Consumer Selling API: the API allows users on partner marketplaces to list inventory on eBay Marketplace, expanding the initial market exposure. This API is scheduled to be released later this year.
In addition to these new APIs, eBay has added additional features to some of its existing APIs:
- Account API: eBay added a new feature that allows a user to determine whether a seller has opted-in to the managed payments program
- Fulfillment API: a new feature allows managed payments sellers to partially or fully reimburse buyers
- Marketing API: eBay added the ability to give volume discounts to volume buyers by adding a volume pricing feature to the Marketing API
- Negotiation API: this feature allows sellers to send offers to buyers who are watching their item with an exclusive discount. The feature is called the Offers to Buyers feature within the Negotiation API
- Inventory API: The Inventory API now supports a buyers ability to adopt and offer eBay's Best Offer functionality
- Taxonomy API & Trading API: eBay added an Aspect Guidance feature to these APIs that provides item information that is required, recommended, or optional for sellers to add to listings
eBay has also published open source SDKs and client libraries to process feeds and Integration with eBay OAuth services. The goal of its open source movement is to simplify integration with the growing list of eBay APIs. Check out eBay's announcement to learn more.