ProgrammableWeb has launched a special resource center to help developers find the top COVID-19 related APIs and other appdev resources. The content in this Resource center is curated by the ProgrammableWeb staff and is designed to provide developers with the most up to date information and tools to help them build solutions related to the coronavirus pandemic. These could be tracking solutions, reporting solutions or any type of innovation that these resources might inspire.
Since publishing an article in February about the top APIs to track the coronavirus, ProgrammableWeb has continued to cover the outbreak from a developer point of view. Now all of that information can be found in one place (pictured below).
Since that first article, the number of COVID related APIs, data visualizations and news stories has exploded. To help developers keep up to date on it, the landing page is broken into the following sections:
- Coronavirus APIs - The landing page will list some of the best COVID-19 APIs and then link to our directory where developers can find the rest of the public APIs that have we know of. We welcome additions to our database. If you know of an API or SDK that belongs in our directory, you can add it yourself (just click the big blue “Add APIs & More” button near the top of any page on our site) or you can email the details to us at email@example.com.
- Dashboards/Datasources - Not all of the COVID-19 related data is available via API. Some of that data is simply available through static data sets. Developers have leveraged the vast number of these data sets from organizations worldwide to create data visualizations, pandemic dashboards, interactive maps, and analytic tools. This is where you can find the tools as well as the data sets that they are based on.
- Coronavirus Hackathons and other events - Since the pandemic began to spread worldwide, a number of hackathons and other special events (ie: virtual conferences) have sprung up. They have been aimed at bringing together developers to build solutions that tackle some of the new challenges society faces as a result of COVID-19. Here developers can find a listing of past, present, and future events.
- Open Source Projects - There are also many projects that have brought together citizens using a collaborative development model seen so often in software development projects. Those projects can be found in this section.
- Coronavirus News - We have covered the releases of COVID-19 APIs and SDKs, put the spotlight on upcoming hackathons, and offered a developer-focused angle to the COVID-19 pandemic.
We are not the only ones to offer such a resource to the developer community. Postman has opened its Postman COVID-19 API Resource Center, a site that contains API collections from many state governments and organizations. Similar resources can be found on GitHub as well. There is no shortage of options for developers wanting to take on the challenges and opportunities presented by this outbreak. Here at ProgrammableWeb, we will do our best to keep this information up to date so that developers can get to work making a difference.