Build and Launch an API in 10 Minutes
Steven Willmott at the Enterprise Integration site dzone.com says he got an API up and running in about the time it will take you to read this article. As he acknowledges, it wasn't the most complicated API in the universe,
"APIs can be complex and challenging to operate – but it doesn’t have to be hard to get started. To prove it and also inaugurate our video tutorial series we figured we show how to get a very simple API up, running and hosted easily and in less time than it takes to cook a hot dinner."
Don't have ten minutes? Don't sweat; the video's only 9:36... If we had a Guinness Book of Nerd Records, this might be an entry!
Bright Idea: Philips Hue LED API and SDK
Here's one way to control your lights with your iPhone, "Technabob" explains. He's a fan of the bulbs but didn't like that their app. Now he's happy with the Platform opening to developers.
New applications are possible, he notes,
"While there’s already a growing community that’s been playing with the bulbs for several months now, it’s great to have officially-supported docs and tools from Philips themselves. Having these tools in hand should enable the creation of applications which can change bulb colors to music, video and other ideas which I haven’t even thought of yet. Heck, with enough Hue bulbs and the right app developer, you could probably make a (ridiculously expensive) video wall using the bulbs."
The price may be not quite as brilliant, however: $199 for a 3-bulb starter kit and $59 for each additional. Presumably, the prices will dim. In the meantime, developers can light up at developers.meethue.com.
API news you shouldn't miss
- The 10-Minute API: Getting an API Up and Running in 10 Minutes with 3scale, Grape and Heroku
- API Predictions for the rest of 2013
- Ask Ziggy’s new API allows any app to have its own built-in Siri
- Animated visualization maps a week's worth of tweets sent between Twitter employees
- How App Stores Can Become A Catalyst For A Developer-Focused IT Universe
- Philips Hue LED Lamps Get API and Software Developer Kit
- 5 lessons from API giants like Twitter and Google
- 3ders.org - Shapeways launches new API for better 3D printing apps | 3D Printer News & 3D Printing News
- Netflix Stops Issuing API Keys To New Developers, Effectively Ending Its Developer Program
- PayPal Separates Developer Platform From X.commerce, Launches Simpler, Mobile APIs And More